Monday, August 13, 2012

Fire it Up

Pepper + Beer. Why didn't anyone think of this before? When I first saw a bottle of beer brewed with peppercorns, I was skeptical. It could be too hot, it could be too mild, it could taste totally fake. It probably didn't help my anxieties that I once tried a pepper infused vodka and was ill for a day afterwards. Fortunately, pepper beer and pepper vodka seem to have little in common and I can recommend the former whole-heartedly. Don't believe me? Try one of these two yourself:

Sgt. Pepper

By Cambridge Brewing Co.


Farmhouse ale with peppercorns - 6% ABV - Cambridge, MA

Amy: In Sichuan cuisine there's a flavor combination known as "ma la," or spicy-numbing. It's a flavor I love and drinking this beer brought me back to it with each sip. Sgt. Pepper is a golden, honey color with a light, bright ale flavor and a nice kick of heat. The pepper is noticeable, but not painful. The bottle specified that four types of pepper were used, but didn't say which ones, so we had lots of fun guessing. My final guess is black (for the heat), green (for the brightness), pink (for the flower notes), and Sichuan (for the numbing quality). One of my favorite things about the beer was its wonderful floral aroma, like that of pink peppercorns. I'm normally not overly interested in the way beers smell. I sniff them a bit at the beginning to see what I'm getting into and then never bother smelling again. I kept coming back to the bouquet of the Sgt. Pepper just because it was so pretty, like walking into your kitchen when your partner has surprised you with freshly baked bread. One thing to note: the heat of the beer grows over time, which could be dangerous, as you keep sipping to cool your mouth.

Paul: While I hate to be the one to say it, this is one of those rare occasions Amy and I agree. CBC hit the sweet spot with this light-bodied farmhouse ale. The peppercorn flavors are subtle, but definitely present. A malty backbone perfectly complements the spicy hit of the (black?) peppercorn, creating a distinct and savory effect on the palette. And, as Amy says, the nose follows the palette on this one. You won't ever forget that your beer was brewed with pepper. I'd drink this with anything off the grill, but a creamy cheese or sauce could work well here also to cut the bite.

Since CBC started bottling its beers, I've been thrilled with the brewing skill apparent in the beers coming out of their shop. And people are paying attention: check out this review from Beer Advocate. As the CBC gets some much deserved attention for their often experimental brews, we'll be watching, and rating, their delicious products!

Amy- 4 stars

Paul - 4 stars 

Total - 8



Viva Habanera

By Night Shift Brewing


Rye ale brewed with agave & habanero - 7.2% ABV - Everet, MA

Amy: I first tried this beer at a local craft brew festival and then had to wait months before the beer was available by the bottle. In the noisy, crowded building drinking my sample there wasn't a lot of context for the beer, but I knew it was a beer with habanero and I knew I liked it. I'm glad that I had no bottle to look at, since I might have skipped tasting it if I knew of the rye ale and agave in here. It's not an intuitive combination and I can't claim to be a fan of either rye beers or agave sweetened anything. Thank goodness I didn't know what I was getting into.

This beer is deep, rich, toasty, and spicy. It has a warming richness that would be great for winter, and yet the fruity habanero flavor was a good fit for the 80+ degree day we tasted it on. The agave, which I was very biased against, brings a subtle sweetness that doesn't stand out, but balances out and mellows the darkness of the rye. The heat from the habanero is subtle, but noticeable. Unlike the Sgt. Pepper, this heat doesn't build up over time (good thing too, since this is 7.2% alcohol). Looking at the label I wouldn't suspect that these ingredients would go together, but Night Shift has won me over with rye and habanero.

Paul: This is, in a word, delicious. I'm a big fan of rye ales (look for an upcoming review of Harpoon's Rye Pale Ale), agave, and habanero pepper. But together? Yes indeed. Habanero, of course, is famous for being one of the spiciest peppers in the world at 100,000-350,000 on the Scoville scale. Needless to say, you don't normally see it as an ingredient in beer, but while drinking Viva Habanera it makes perfect sense. Sure the pepper is spicy, but it is also one of the most flavorful of peppers, with a delicious fruity quality underneath the heat that also makes it one of the best contenders for hot sauce that I know of. The nose on the beer smells almost sweet, but the first taste opens out onto complex flavors of spice, flowers, pepper, and a soft mouthfeel (I suspect this is the agave). The guys at the recently opened Night Shift Brewery should be very proud, since this a masterful display of balance and finesse. The heat doesn't last, so I could drink it all day (but don't, because it is 7%), and I'd pair it with anything fresh and spicy. Try it with tacos, guacamole, whatever you want, but please, please, please try this beer. You won't be disappointed.

Amy- 4.5 stars

Paul - 5 stars 

Total - 9.5




View this post on our new blog: http://paulandamyonbeer.com/2012/08/13/fire-it-up/

6 comments:

  1. I have no tried either of these! Where did you track them down? Also, you guys should do a post on sour ales!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Katie. Thanks for the suggestion on sour ales!

    If you're local to the GBA, you can find these (as well as most of the beers we review) at the Craft Beer Cellar in Belmont, Downton Wine & Spirits in Davis Square Somerville, Formaggio Kitchen in Cambridge, and City Feed and Supply in Jamaica Plain.

    Cheers!
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pemberton Farms on Mass. Ave in Cambridge stocks all the local beers including CBC & Night Shift. Feel free to come check out our selection.
    Thanks,
    Scott

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Scott, right you are! Pemberton Farms has a great selection and I frequently stock up on Pretty Things there. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  4. At a tasting at Night Shift recently, I tried the V.H. on draft and my immediate reaction was "it tastes like freezer burn." That's all I could think about because I've never had that descriptor come up before for a beer I was drinking. However, they had just bottled some fresh V.H. that day, or perhaps it was the day before, and THAT was great. No freezer burn taste (whatever caused it!) in the fresh one, and the spiciness that declares "Habanero inside!" came through much clearer. I guess that freezer burn flavor was just what "stale" tastes like.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Want to comment on this post? Visit it on our new blog and comment there: http://paulandamyonbeer.com/2012/08/13/fire-it-up/

    ReplyDelete