Tuesday, June 19, 2012

An Introduction

Welcome to Paul and Amy on Beer! The result of years of beer snobbery between good friends.

Amy: Paul and I both went to college in Greensboro, NC. I had a love for local artisans and small farmers, which I spent my weekends seeking out. We also had a couple local microbreweries I loved visiting and touring. I love local food and drink so much that I eventually decided to go back to school to learn more about local food. The school I chose was in Boston and I was thrilled to discover that Paul had just been accepted to a different program in the same school and was moving at the same time. We decided to move to the Not-Quite-As-Big City together.

As roommates Paul and I discovered that the things we did best together were drinking and debating. Even once we moved out of our cruddy Brighton apartment, we’d get together every week or so to drink a few beers and disagree about which one was the best of the bunch. We managed to keep our gibberish pretty much to ourselves for a while, but now we've decided to share it with the world right here.

Paul: Amy is right about the drinking and debating. I'm becoming convinced that these are the most natural activities for graduate students! My interest in food started way back with PBS: Jeff Smith, Julia Child, and Jacques Pepin. I'm no chef, but I love to eat and provide good food and drink for friends. Thus began my love affair with local food and craft beverages. I came to the beer party late in my college career. Like many of the brewers we'll be reviewing here, I cut my teeth on imported styles from England and Germany. When I started to become aware of the American craft-brew scene, I started in on those as well. 

It isn’t a secret that Boston’s beer scene has exploded in the past few years. With Samuel Adams’ opening in 1985 and Harpoon Brewery in 1986, a new generation of micro and craft brewers were born. The reverberations of these two brewers’ early successes can be felt everywhere in the Metro area, with brewpubs and nanobreweries popping up in such diverse locations as Somerville, Cambridge, and Everett. In tribute to all this local beer, Amy and I thought we’d kick off our blog with a look at some of the innovative local beers that have been appearing on shelves all over the city.

That's about all we've got for now, but we'll be posting the first reviews very soon!

Happy drinking!

This post's new home: http://paulandamyonbeer.com/2012/06/19/an-introduction/

2 comments:

  1. I'm another Tarheel that's a long ways from home, drinking beer in the land of Yankees. The beer blog is an interesting idea. I've written a couple of "Days of Beer" posts. Here is the first one that tells how I began to drink beer and not whiskey. http://sagecoveredhills.blogspot.com/2012/02/days-of-beer-review-and-personal-essay.html

    Btw, I tend to drink IPAs in the summer and Stouts in winter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Want to leave a comment? Leave it on our new blog: http://paulandamyonbeer.com/2012/06/19/an-introduction/

    ReplyDelete